Wednesday, November 27, 2013

being thankful

Happy Thanksgiving Eve! Payton, Scout and I are headed to Lake Gaston after work today to join my parents and brother (and 3 dogs) for a fun mini-vacation. Since horses need to eat too, my dear mother has to work tomorrow which means we'll celebrate our Thanksgiving on Friday. Payton is going to DEEP FRY our turkey for the first time! My mouth is watering just thinking about it. We have a cajun spice rub all ready to go and I have a feeling it's going to be the best turkey yet! On Saturday we'll head back to Raleigh bright and early for the NCSU v. Maryland game. I'm sure we'll have fun, but there's not much hope for a Wolfpack win...

In the spirit of the season, I realize that being thankful sometimes isn't as easy as it should be. People tend to focus on the lows and imperfections that come with the territory of this thing we call life, leaving it difficult to see the positives. This year I'm not only thankful for my biggest blessings in life (my patient husband, my supportive family, my loving friends, my sweet pets, my job, my warm home, etc...), but I've also made a point to pay attention to the little things and be thankful for those, too. On this November 27th, I'll leave you with 27 things that I'm thankful for this year, in no particular order:


1. Spray butter. How did people butter their broccoli before spray butter?

2. Electric salt and pepper mills. Hand grinding salt and pepper is SO last year.
3. Gap slacks. It's like wearing sweat pants to work everyday, without looking like a bum.
4. Colgate toothpaste. The only toothpaste that's allowed in our house.
5. My t-shirt quilt. The warmest, most comfortable blanket I own. And bonus, it is filled with great memories!
6. DVR. Ain't nobody got time for commercials anymore.
7. Nantucket Blend k-cups. I look forward to waking up so I can drink this delicious coffee.
8. My Shark Rocket vacuum. Vacuuming is enjoyable, thanks to you.
9. Chapstick. Although it would be nice if Payton would carry his own so he wouldn't complain about the kind I carry in my purse. But that's for another day...
10. Online shopping. It might get me into trouble at times, but it saves me many-a-headahe during the holidays.
11. Emergency vets. Scout is becoming a regular there because of his famous Sick Sundays. I don't know what we'd do without them!
12. Ghiradelli Dark Chocolate and Sea Salt Caramel bars. No comment needed.
13. Coupons. Who doesn't love a discount?
14. The Walking Dead. One of the only TV shows that I can stay awake through.
15. Harris Teeter donuts. Well, I love all donuts. but the Teet knows what's up.
16. Snowball's whinny. It's music to my ears, even after 12 years. 
17. My Erin Condren planner. I can't really use it until December 26th, but I still look at it everyday.
18. Minced garlic. I hate chopping garlic because I can still smell it on my hands 3 days later after 4 showers.
19. Payton's corny jokes. He laughs at himself before he can even finish saying what he wants to say, but that just makes me smile.
20. Pyrex. I don't know why, but I have a serious love affair with Pyrex!
21. Dishwashers. Washing dishes is my least favorite chore, so I wouldn't be happy if I had to do it even more than I do now!
22. Scout's "prairie dog" pose. It puts a smile on my face no matter what. I love that dog.
23. Pictures. Memories can be shared and will never be forgotten if you take pictures. This year, I'll be doing more of that.
24. Lotion. I HATE the feeling of dry skin.
25. GPS. Seriously... I wouldn't be able to go anywhere without it. What are maps?
26. Will Ferrell. I could watch his movies everyday for the rest of my life and they would never get old. 
27. Holidays. For whatever reason, holidays make us realize what's important in life. Maybe it's the break from work, maybe it's being with family and people you love... I don't know, but I'm grateful for the reality check it brings.

There you go. Proof that it's not so hard to find things to be thankful for! 


I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving filled with great food, good company and lots of love!


No comments:

Post a Comment