Tuesday, November 19, 2013

a new tradition

Now that we're fancy and married, we have decided to implement Operation: Monthly Date Night! That sounds silly now that I'm reading it, but Payton and I rarely eat out. We grab lunch on the weekends when we're running errands and we'll meet for lunch occasionally during the week, but for us to actually go out to dinner is a treat. We both love to cook and agree that eating out is expensive, so it's just never been an issue. As nice as it is to cook in my PJs, I do think it's important for our marriage to make a little effort to do something special every now and then! Plus, we just LOVE food. We were both extremely picky eaters growing up and we've started to embrace our newfound food courage. I always read about the awesome restaurants right here in Raleigh, but I'm ashamed to admit that I haven't been to very many. That's about to change! 
We kicked off Monthly Date Night at The Rockford thanks to a friend's recommendation, and HOLY COW were we impressed! We checked out the menu before going and decided that we would split an appetizer (Grilled Pork Dumplings) and order different sandwiches, since we almost always want the same thing. I got the A.B.C.- their signature sandwich- and Payton got the Prosciutto Chicken Melt. The pork dumplings (basically pot stickers) were to.die.for and the dipping sauce had the perfect amount of spice to it. However, the A.B.C. stole the show. Even the bread of the sandwich was glorious! It has slices of granny smith apples, bacon, sharp cheddar cheese and is just slathered in sesame honey dressing. WHAT?! Oh, and did I mention that the bread was actually GRILLED FRENCH TOAST complete with POWDERED SUGAR on top?! I can't. I just can't. Payton's sandwich was really delicious also, but it just didn't stand a chance next to mine. Another neat thing the Rockford does is they have different sides everyday. We got the smashed red potatoes and collards - both great! We each got a Highland Brewery beer to compliment our meals and left with full stomachs, smiles on our faces, and a new tradition in the books! So, the question is... what shall we try next?

Also, I just have to share a recipe with y'all! I openly admit that I'm a pasta addict, so it shouldn't be a surprise that this is a pasta dish. It's quick, easy and delicious- just the way I like it.




Baked Penne (or whatever pasta you have in the pantry)
3 cups pasta (I like rigatoni because it holds up well against the sauce)
1/2 lb. sausage or ground beef (2 words: Hot Neese's. There's just no other option here in the South)
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 24 oz. jar traditional pasta sauce
1 container Philadelphia Italian Heb cooking creme, divided (Find this with the cream cheese in the grocery store)
1 cup shredded mozzarella, divided

Preheat oven to 350.
Cook pasta according to package instructions.
Brown sausage and onion in a large, sided, non-stick skillet.
Stir in spaghetti sauce, 3/4 cup cooking creme and 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella. Continue to cook over low heat for 2-3 minutes.
Combine sauce and pasta; mix lightly.
Pour into a 2 quart casserole dish and top with remaining cooking creme and shredded mozzarella.
Cover, and bake for 15 minutes.
Remove foil and bake for an additional 5 minutes.


That's it! Roast some asparagus or steam some broccoli and you've got a great weeknight dinner, and leftovers for lunch the next day!


No comments:

Post a Comment